Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Life In Two Suitcases (And A Little Carry-On)

Hi everyone! In light of my upcoming semester abroad, I have decided to jump on the blog bandwagon. Being that this is my first blogging experiment, bear with me. The one-week countdown until my departure officially starts now, and I couldn't be more excited! I finally started packing today, and let's just say that my parents and I have very different definitions of what is "essential" in life. Why on Earth would they not see my entire collection of shoes as absolutely necessary?! Clearly, some compromising will be in order. (Ok fine, I will only bring half of all my shoes...)

Trust me people, packing for four months is far from an easy feat. Up until this point, I have never had a reason to consolidate my life into two 50 pound suitcases, but I've finally met my match. If nothing else, I'm beginning to realize that I completely missed the boat on the practicality gene. The packing process started to go a bit more smoothly after my mother bluntly reminded me that doing laundry is in fact a universal practice, meaning that I do not need to pack four months worth of clothes after all (my bad). All I can say is thank God she broke down and let me take the Snuggie. How much more practical can you get than a blanket with pockets and sleeves? Looks like I might be on the right track after all.

Upon receiving my Prague City Guide, I did what any rational person should do...I flipped directly to the section on Czech cuisine (priorities). Although I don't understand a word of Czech yet, I was thrilled to learn that at least Prague and I are on the same page when it comes to food. It appears that two of the most important words in the Czech language are maso (meat) and sýr (cheese). What more could a girl from Wisconsin ask for?!

All and all, I can't wait to explore a new place unlike any other I have ever been. I'm sure I will experience the initial culture shock, and I will no doubt look like a completely out of place American tourist for the first few weeks, but hopefully I will not make a complete fool out of myself (fingers crossed). I would like to be able to end this post with a cliche statement about Prague not being ready for me, but to be honest, I think I'm the one that's not ready. Let's hope this blonde with a bad sense of direction can survive in the fast-paced city of Prague. Wish me luck!

Check back for new updates in a week!

Cheers,

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment