Friday, January 21, 2011

For Here or To Go?

I finally made it to Prague, and I have loved every minute of my time here thus far. Everything about this city is so genuine, from the people to the culture. Somewhere amidst all of the urban chaos, you can always find a family owned bookstore, a quaint cafe, or a small specialty market. It is so different walking into a Czech food market, where milk can be bought fresh (unpasteurized I might add), and where bread is made fresh daily. To add to the appeal of these markets, the prices at these specialty markets are often the same or cheaper than those at large grocery stores (take a hint Wal Mart). This price trend holds true for nearly all local restaurants and cafes as well. In other words, the US dollar goes a long way here in Prague.

The currency here is the crown, and the equivalency of the crown to the US dollar is roughly 18 crowns for every one US dollar. Paying for everything in crowns is definitely going to take some getting used to. For now, it still feels like I'm handing cashiers Monopoly money. For example, today I had a minor breakdown when I realized that I was handing a cashier a 200 crown bill for a sandwich and a cappuccino. My American mentality kicked in right away when I saw the number 200 on the bill, and my first instinct was to assume that I was being severely ripped off. However, once I came to my senses I realized that the 100 crowns that I was spending on my lunch were equivalent to only about $6.00. In retrospect, it was a total steal! Not to mention the fact that it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten (and I know sandwiches). I think its safe to say that I will be a food connoisseur by the time I leave Prague.

One of my favorite things about Prague thus far is the way in which beauty is a part of everything, from the buildings to the streets, and even the food. Today we were taken on a tour of downtown Prague, and as we walked through the winding cobblestone streets, I didn't see a single building that was short of remarkable. The most average building in downtown Prague could still be considered a tourist attraction in the United States. Even with the incredibly efficient public transit system, I will undoubtedly endure the winter weather to explore the city on foot. However, I'm beginning to realize that my already lacking sense of direction has been further diminished by the absence of my blackberry. Google Maps, how did I ever live without you?! And to think that I thought I had street smarts (lies). Looks like I might have to learn to read a real map after all.

An interesting aspect of the way of life here is the strong emphasis on food, as both a delicacy and a reflection of cultural traditions. It seems that in Czech culture, eating is not only an act, but also a process. At the cafe I went to for lunch today, I was expecting the cashier to ask whether I wanted to have my food for there or to go. The phrase "for here or to go?" in many ways embodies the nature of American culture. In the United States, eating is considered something that we seek to simplify as much as possible. Food is essential, thus we eat. It is not typically perceived as an opportunity to socialize or relax like it is in other cultures. At our welcome dinner last night, the food was brought out to us in increments, with bread first, then soup, and finally the main course. Although the process could have easily been shortened, we stayed at the restaurant for a total of over two hours. I'm learning more and more that the food is only part of the experience of eating here. I realize that this sounds contradictory, but what I'm really trying to say is that even in the fast-paced city of Prague, Czechs seem to find a way to set aside time for the things that make life truly enjoyable. It is remarkable how much more clearly I'm beginning to perceive my own culture by experiencing the culture here in Prague. I guess that's why they call it culture shock.

Downtown Prague

Downtown Prague

Downtown Prague

Downtown Prague

My delicious and aesthetically pleasing cappuccino!!! :)


Cheers,

Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Great blog post! I enjoyed reading your thoughts about how food and the dining experience takes on a new significance in Prague. Keep up the great writing and photos, too! Enjoy the adventure.

    ReplyDelete