Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Traveling Seminar: Krakow-Auschwitz-Moravia-Vienna--First Stop: Krakow, Poland

Hello everyone! After weeks of putting it off due to school work, I have finally found time to catch you up on my travels (apologies for the delay!). During the last week of March, the students in my program and I  embarked on a traveling seminar that would prove to be both a fun and educational experience. Prior to the seminar, I wasn't sure what to think about the experience. After all, Poland has never exactly been on the top of my list of must-see spring break destinations, but these doubts quickly faded upon our arrival in Krakow.

After quickly realizing that getting my tan on at a beach would not be an option, I decided to just go with the flow, even if that flow involved copious amounts of pierogi (Polish dumplings), endless hours of looking at lively communist-style architecture (sarcasm), and enduring the occasional, but far too frequent, torrential downpour. And of course I managed to look extra touristy with my camera permanently attached to one wrist, and a map that looked as though it had survived a war in the other hand (trust me people, being a master navigator is no joke). Oh and no worries, I've completely given up on gaining enough sun exposure to achieve any other skin tone than pale. Rather than acknowledging my paleness, I choose to live in a perpetual state of denial in which I blame my "glowing" complexion in pictures on a camera"flash defect."

Aside from the less than ideal weather during our stay, I found Krakow to be a picturesque and engaging city, to say the least. From the beautiful Wawel Castle to the historic Main Market Square, which is the second largest public square in Europe behind the Piazza San Marco Square in Venice, Italy, the city of Krakow never ceased to impress me. Even with my relatively limited knowledge of European history, I was able to appreciate the overwhelming beauty of the city. Oh, and did I mention that I may have hit up some, maybe all, of the local food stands? Well, I did. I know you're all shocked. :)

Here are some photos from my trip to Krakow. Enjoy!

The Main Market Square in Krakow

A flower stand in the Main Market Square

Saint Mary's Basilica in the Main Market Square (clearly, it's an extremely large square)

Wawel Castle at night...my poor photography skills really don't do it justice. :(

Me looking pale and awkward by the Vistula River in Krakow (typical)

The Schindler Factory Museum (as in Schindler's List)


Up next: A recap of my trip to Auschwitz, followed by recaps of my trips to Moravia and Vienna

Na zdravĂ­! (cheers!)

Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for continuing you blog posts. We really enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete